Pearls are organic gems, which require specialized care. If handled properly, they will be protected for a very long time. They can be harmed by contact with many chemicals found in household cleaners, perfumes, cosmetics and hair care products of all kinds.
• Always remember that your pearls should be the last thing you put on when dressing and the first thing you take off when you get home.
• Always use only jewelry cleaners that are labeled as safe for pearls.
• Always store your pearls wrapped in a soft cloth or pouch and protected from all abrasive objects. And
• Always wipe your pearls with a soft cloth moistened with water.
• Always remove your pearls if you reapply hairspray or put on perfume with a sprayer. Both can damage pearls.
• Always be aware of that type of fabrics you wear. Heavily textured fabrics such as Shetland wool can damage pearls.
• Never use toothbrushes, scouring pads or any type of abrasive material to clean your pearls.
• Never expose your pearls to dish or laundry detergents, bleaches, powdered cleansers, baking soda or any ammonia based cleaner like Windex.
• Never use any type of ultrasonic cleaner.
• Never steam clean your pearls.
• Never use tarnish remover or any type of jewelry cleaner advertised on TV as a miracle cleaner.
• Never store your pearls in any type of plastic bag. Plastic can emit a chemical that would cause the surface of the pearl to deteriorate.
• Never leave your pearls around a direct source of heat such as a fireplace mantel, on top of a television set, or stove.
• Never store your pearls in a very dry room or in a safe deposit box for a long time. Your pearls need a little moisture like your skin so that they will not to dry out.
Always remember that pearls are a gift from the sea to be enjoyed for generations to come. The better you take care of them the longer they will maintain their warm glowing luster.